banner
CONTACT US
***** CHECK NJ DISCOVERS REALITY TV SHOWS - ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS ON A POPULAR LOCAL CABLE TELEVISION SHOW AND THE WORLDWIDE WEB FOR AS LITTLE AS $50 A WEEK - "NJ DISCOVER" - CONTACT US TODAY FOR DETAILS at 732-303-8844 *****

Marlboro State Psychiatric Hospital Final Visit

Marlboro State Psychiatric Hospital  Soon to be demolished!

Marlboro Psychiatric Hospitalwas a hospital operated by the State of New Jersey.  It first opened in early 1931 on a campus of over 450 acres.   Although the hospital was expected to hold a capacity of up to 2000 residents the average in attendance barely reached 780 adults per day with a staff of 1,157 employees and a total budget of $55.5 million in 1995.

The hospital was composed of 17 cottage-style dormitories holding 55 patients each. In addition to the central building, there were more than 20 buildings used for a cafeteria, security station, firehouse and morgue.

Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital had a history of problems ranging from food poisoning to missing patients. There were reports of deaths due to vitamin deficiencies, blood clots from retraints to choking to death on a peanut butter sandwich.]

The hospital closed in 1998 following a 1993 undercover investigation that uncovered patient abuse, wasteful spending and other illegal practices at the hospital.

In November 2011, NJ State officials announced that the Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital will be demolished to prepare for an open space community park for Monmouth County residents. The project is slated for completion in 2013.

Watch the Video & Leave a Comment.

7 comments

#1sammyMarch 6, 2015, 12:38 pm

I had worked at Marlboro state hospital from 1965-1970. It was not a bad place in that time but the people who cared for the patients for a fact you to slap them around. And who are they going to believe these people or the mentally sick patients. The worst was the head physician Dr Stone it was known he did more then an exam on the women patients when they were admitted. Know what I mean. I heard he was a very sick horrible man. I am sure as the years went on a lot of things were done and no one really looked into it. I liked working there it was my first job out of high school. Back then the buildings were beautiful and the grounds. The priest who worked at the church was so nice and caring.

#2carpenterJune 16, 2013, 8:39 pm

The investigation was by Senator Cody who gave the name of a known sex offender as his ID and got hired by MPH for the infamous Cottage 16 where patients were kept locked in the basement during the day.

Many of the staff psychiatrists weren’t psychiatrists at all because they had their specialty in other areas. One was a pediatrician. Staff drank on the job, major drug dealing even among management personnel, as I heard, and mysterious “suicides” were among the scandals.

The CEO and other were fired. The cornfield was actually run by prisoners who also cared for the cattle at the hospital farm.

You should have done a better job of researching this video before you made it.

#3SabsMay 27, 2013, 1:29 pm

The asylum is still there and is up on the market its not getting destroyed or getting turned into a park because it hasnt been bought yet

#4AlouishisFebruary 28, 2013, 4:57 pm

That’s “impending”, not “impeding”. :)

#5AlouishisFebruary 28, 2013, 4:42 pm

Nice video. Great that you recorded a visual record of it before it’s impeding demolishment. Spooky place. In 1976, I lived next to MSH in a house on Highway 79 in Wickatunk. The only thing separating us from the place was a big cornfield.

#6ChrisDecember 15, 2012, 10:48 am

Is there any way to take pictures of the place legally?

#7JenyNovember 3, 2012, 12:14 am

This was my granny’s mental hospital. Would like to have a copy of this video.;

my

Nickname:
E-mail:
Website:
Comment:

Other articlesgo to homepage

“Hold On To A Moment: A Journey to Jersey Centenarians: A Series. Meet Malcolm Murray (only 93) at ‘We Care Adult Care’ in Middletown. WWII Veteran with General Patton.   bY Calvin Schwartz  June 4th 2015.

“Hold On To A Moment: A Journey to Jersey Centenarians: A Series. Meet Malcolm Murray (only 93) at ‘We Care Adult Care’ in Middletown. WWII Veteran with General Patton. bY Calvin Schwartz June 4th 2015.(0)

“Hold On To A Moment: A Journey to Jersey Centenarians: A Series. Meet Malcolm Murray (only 93) at ‘We Care Adult Care’ in Middletown. WWII Veteran with General Patton.   bY Calvin Schwartz  June 4th 2015.     As a newbie journalist, I go through certain exercises prior to writing an article. Reflection on how the

[Video]  SPRING LAKE: THE IRISH FESTIVAL 2015

[Video] SPRING LAKE: THE IRISH FESTIVAL 2015(0)

In case you missed it! Spring Lake NJ Irish Festival Saturday May 16th. Live music, cultural food, beer garden, contests, kids activities, Atlantic Ocean, Jersey Shore ambiance, sports personalities and more. Tweet

JERSEY EXPLORATIONS: RIDGEWOOD CONSERVATORY   bY CALVIN SCHWARTZ   May 17th 2015

JERSEY EXPLORATIONS: RIDGEWOOD CONSERVATORY bY CALVIN SCHWARTZ May 17th 2015(0)

JERSEY EXPLORATIONS: RIDGEWOOD CONSERVATORY     bY CALVIN SCHWARTZ     May 17th 2015   It’s not often when I leave my journalistic confines of Central Jersey and actually head north on the Garden State Parkway, passing several toll plazas, traversing my old Essex County stomping grounds ( I was born  there) and landing just

It’s heavy. It’s not my brother or a hard rain but the old Upstage Club in Asbury Park, NJ, USA         A Memorial?    April 12, 2015       By Calvin Schwartz

It’s heavy. It’s not my brother or a hard rain but the old Upstage Club in Asbury Park, NJ, USA A Memorial? April 12, 2015 By Calvin Schwartz(0)

It’s heavy. It’s not my brother or a hard rain but the old Upstage Club in Asbury Park, NJ, USA  A Memorial?    April 12, 2015       By Calvin Schwartz       This op-ed or whatever it is, structurally, is best designed to be that stream of almost absurd consciousness that I’ve grown accustomed to

The Making of a Contemporary Christmas Classic Song: “Your Love is All I Want for Christmas” by Jo Bonanno and the Godsons of Soul   By Calvin Schwartz   December 2, 2014

The Making of a Contemporary Christmas Classic Song: “Your Love is All I Want for Christmas” by Jo Bonanno and the Godsons of Soul By Calvin Schwartz December 2, 2014(0)

The Making of a Contemporary Christmas Classic Song: “”Your Love is All I Want for Christmas” by Jo Bonanno and the Godsons of Soul   By Calvin Schwartz   December 2, 2014         I’ve been ‘into’ Christmas and holiday music for a long time. Somehow when I listen, it magic carpets me back to

banner

Artist Nation TV

banner

NJ Discover is the proud Sponsor of Sky Blue Pro Soccer Team

banner

Find Us on Facebook

NJ Discover Tweets

Contacts and information

NJ Discover will produce a professional quality HD commercial or infomercial for your business at an affordable price in a very short period of time.

NJ Discover is Your One Stop Shopping for TV/Internet Production and Advertising.

Social networks