banner
CONTACT US
***** NJ DISCOVER IS A FULL SERVICE HD PRODUCTION COMPANY - STRENGTH IS PRODUCING TV COMMERCIALS AND WEBMERCIALS SO YOU COULD ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS ON CABLE TELEVISION, SOCIAL MEDIA AND THE WORLDWIDE WEB - "GET DISCOVERED WITH NJ DISCOVER" - CONTACT US TODAY FOR DETAILS at 732-303-8844 *****

Marlboro State Psychiatric Hospital Final Visit

Marlboro State Psychiatric Hospital  Soon to be demolished!

Marlboro Psychiatric Hospitalwas a hospital operated by the State of New Jersey.  It first opened in early 1931 on a campus of over 450 acres.   Although the hospital was expected to hold a capacity of up to 2000 residents the average in attendance barely reached 780 adults per day with a staff of 1,157 employees and a total budget of $55.5 million in 1995.

The hospital was composed of 17 cottage-style dormitories holding 55 patients each. In addition to the central building, there were more than 20 buildings used for a cafeteria, security station, firehouse and morgue.

Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital had a history of problems ranging from food poisoning to missing patients. There were reports of deaths due to vitamin deficiencies, blood clots from retraints to choking to death on a peanut butter sandwich.]

The hospital closed in 1998 following a 1993 undercover investigation that uncovered patient abuse, wasteful spending and other illegal practices at the hospital.

In November 2011, NJ State officials announced that the Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital will be demolished to prepare for an open space community park for Monmouth County residents. The project is slated for completion in 2013.

Watch the Video & Leave a Comment.

7 comments

#1sammyMarch 6, 2015, 12:38 pm

I had worked at Marlboro state hospital from 1965-1970. It was not a bad place in that time but the people who cared for the patients for a fact you to slap them around. And who are they going to believe these people or the mentally sick patients. The worst was the head physician Dr Stone it was known he did more then an exam on the women patients when they were admitted. Know what I mean. I heard he was a very sick horrible man. I am sure as the years went on a lot of things were done and no one really looked into it. I liked working there it was my first job out of high school. Back then the buildings were beautiful and the grounds. The priest who worked at the church was so nice and caring.

#2carpenterJune 16, 2013, 8:39 pm

The investigation was by Senator Cody who gave the name of a known sex offender as his ID and got hired by MPH for the infamous Cottage 16 where patients were kept locked in the basement during the day.

Many of the staff psychiatrists weren’t psychiatrists at all because they had their specialty in other areas. One was a pediatrician. Staff drank on the job, major drug dealing even among management personnel, as I heard, and mysterious “suicides” were among the scandals.

The CEO and other were fired. The cornfield was actually run by prisoners who also cared for the cattle at the hospital farm.

You should have done a better job of researching this video before you made it.

#3SabsMay 27, 2013, 1:29 pm

The asylum is still there and is up on the market its not getting destroyed or getting turned into a park because it hasnt been bought yet

#4AlouishisFebruary 28, 2013, 4:57 pm

That’s “impending”, not “impeding”. 🙂

#5AlouishisFebruary 28, 2013, 4:42 pm

Nice video. Great that you recorded a visual record of it before it’s impeding demolishment. Spooky place. In 1976, I lived next to MSH in a house on Highway 79 in Wickatunk. The only thing separating us from the place was a big cornfield.

#6ChrisDecember 15, 2012, 10:48 am

Is there any way to take pictures of the place legally?

#7JenyNovember 3, 2012, 12:14 am

This was my granny’s mental hospital. Would like to have a copy of this video.;

my

Nickname:
E-mail:
Website:
Comment:

Other articlesgo to homepage

My  Day at Rutgers 250th Commencement- May 15th; President Obama Keynote Speaker.  bY Calvin Schwartz  May 26, 2016

My Day at Rutgers 250th Commencement- May 15th; President Obama Keynote Speaker. bY Calvin Schwartz May 26, 2016(0)

My  Day at Rutgers 250th Commencement- May 15th; President Obama Keynote Speaker.  bY Calvin Schwartz  May 26, 2016                 There’s always a story in the naked Garden State (a play on words, naked city). My commencement adventure began in early April when Rutgers University credentialed me (as a

A Night on the Red Carpet: Premiere of “Who’s Jenna…?” in Asbury Park NJ    bY Calvin Schwartz  May 24th 2016

A Night on the Red Carpet: Premiere of “Who’s Jenna…?” in Asbury Park NJ bY Calvin Schwartz May 24th 2016(0)

A Night on the Red Carpet: Premiere of “Who’s Jenna…?” in Asbury Park NJ     bY  Calvin Schwartz  May 24th 2016     Log Out   This article is comprised of three distinct sections. Firstly, my experience on the Red Carpet last Friday May 20th evening in Asbury Park at the House of Independents;

New Jersey HALL of FAME 8th Annual Red Carpet Induction Ceremony – at Asbury Park Convention Hall –  April 7th, 2016 – by TaraJean McDonald Vitale

New Jersey HALL of FAME 8th Annual Red Carpet Induction Ceremony – at Asbury Park Convention Hall – April 7th, 2016 – by TaraJean McDonald Vitale(0)

…….. Last night I had the privilege of honoring some of New Jersey’s BEST at Asbury Park’s magnificent Convention Hall Theater. My co-host Calvin Schwartz and I enjoyed greeting the honorees on the red carpet. The New Jersey Hall of Fame recognizes and celebrates Garden State Citizens for their outstanding accomplishments. I am always impressed with the diversity

NJ DISCOVER SPOTLIGHT:  A Conversation with ROBERT COZMO CONSULMAGNO,  USMC, World Ranked Jiu Jitsu Fighter, PTSD & Bi-Polar Advocate & HIS MISSION to END STIGMA OF BIPOLAR     bY Calvin Schwartz   2-22-16

NJ DISCOVER SPOTLIGHT: A Conversation with ROBERT COZMO CONSULMAGNO, USMC, World Ranked Jiu Jitsu Fighter, PTSD & Bi-Polar Advocate & HIS MISSION to END STIGMA OF BIPOLAR bY Calvin Schwartz 2-22-16(0)

NJ DISCOVER SPOTLIGHT:  A Conversation with ROBERT COZMO CONSULMAGNO,  USMC, World Ranked Jiu Jitsu Fighter, PTSD & Bi-Polar Advocate & HIS MISSION to END STIGMA OF BIPOLAR      bY Calvin Schwartz   2-22-16           I constantly marvel at the exigencies and mysteries of the universe. Just the other day, Einstein was

A SPECIAL NJ DISCOVER SPOTLIGHT: Healthy Pursuits, NEOS ZOE (New Life) and MARYANN CASTELLO , Holistic Health Practitioner      bY Calvin Schwartz   January 25, 2016

A SPECIAL NJ DISCOVER SPOTLIGHT: Healthy Pursuits, NEOS ZOE (New Life) and MARYANN CASTELLO , Holistic Health Practitioner bY Calvin Schwartz January 25, 2016(0)

A SPECIAL NJ DISCOVER SPOTLIGHT: Healthy Pursuits, NEOS ZOE (New Life) and MARYANN CASTELLO , Holistic Health Practitioner      bY Calvin Schwartz   January 25, 2016   Those that know my writings and musings these last few years, probably also know I’m always looking to define and redefine myself. A couple of Decembers ago, I learned about

banner

NJD NEW VIDEO

Artist Nation TV

banner

NJ Discover is the proud Sponsor of Sky Blue Pro Soccer Team

banner

Find Us on Facebook

NJ Discover Tweets

Contacts and information

NJ Discover will produce a professional quality HD commercial or infomercial for your business at an affordable price in a very short period of time.

NJ Discover is Your One Stop Shopping for TV/Internet Production and Advertising.

Social networks